Thursday, August 25, 2011

Frankford Hall: One Garden I Love

For the past 6 months I've heard much about the highly anticipated Beer Garden being built in the Fishtown section of Philadelphia, and rightfully so considering it was being headed by Stephan Starr. After reading the countless articles and periodically checking their website every other week, I finally got a chance to check out Philadelphia newest hot spot, Frankford Hall. After enjoying a ball game in South Philadelphia, my father and I decided to get lost on the way home and found this old car garage turned beer lovers dream. I walked into this open aired bar, and saw a main area that had rows of benches filled with people or all backgrounds. The right side included an area that you could order traditional German foods, and on the left was a bar area to order tasty brews. The bar selection of beer wasn't extensive as some places I've been too, however they had German beers, most I've never even heard of. For my first beer I went with Stoudts Karnival Kolsch, and for my second I had a Dogfish Head My Antonia. Both beers were unique and offered tastes I've never experienced, and the best part of drinking at this place is the mug glasses this beer is served in!

Instead of beer served in pints glasses, you have to option to order a 1/2 liter, and a liter of beer. Have you ever seen what a mug of a liter beer looks like? It's quite impressive. Trust me when I say, a liter of beer in your mug can make a grown man tear up. I think I can honestly say I experienced heaven.

When ordering beers this large, price has to be a concern. Because I got here after a day Phillies game, the price weren't too bad, but I did order from the Happy Hour menu.

I do want to address one concern I have with this place. As mentioned this is an open air beer garden that obviously will be affected by the weather. My visit this wee was on a beautiful, warm summer day. Therefore sitting outside drinking big German beers was enjoyable. But with fall and winter approaching I do wonder how this place will deal with the elements. I was assured by the bartenders that this place will remain open, as once it gets colder they do plan on having a fire pit, and just this past week purchased several space heaters. As for the snow, they will worry about it when it decides to fall. My only suggestion is to drink plenty of beer, and dress warm.

I really enjoyed this place, and cannot wait to go back. A few years back, I got the opportunity to drink at a beer garden in Long Island and thought it was the coolest bar I've ever drank at. I do plan to go back, and believe this would be a fun place to drink during a friday or saturday night with a large group. Just maybe not this weekend, with this hurricane coming, but definitely soon.









No comments:

Post a Comment