Thursday, August 4, 2011

Oskar Blues Beer Dinner: Microbeer in a Can

Last Thursday night I attended a beer dinner at Jose Graces restaurant Chifa. I've never been to a beer dinner, but have always found the thought fascinating, and was intrigued that a chef and brewer could team up to provide a beer/food event. For the past few months, I've frequented the Chifa website in search of finding the perfect beer dinner I would try. When I first began my search, I noticed most of the breweries they teamed up with were in the area as the local breweries included Flying Fish and Dogfish head. As this beer dinner became more popular, breweries across the country were reaching out to Chifa asking them if they could come and host an event with them. I find it quite cool that these national breweries were coming to Chifa to allow Philadelphians to try their beer.

The beer dinner I decided to attend was hosted by Oskar Blues Brewing Company. I've never heard of this brewery, and didn't even know any of the beers they brewed. One of the reasons I picked this dinner was that I was intrigued by the food menu as it was set up like a 4th of July BBQ picnic. I love BBQ, and find beer complements this type of food well. Because I never drank any beer from this brewery I decided to conduct some research. I found out this Colorado based brewery serves all their beer in cans which is the opposite of most microbrews I've tried. I don't particulary like drinking beer out of cans as I find the aluminum gives off a weird aftertaste, but thought it would be interesting. Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever tried any microbrew from a can.

Because I never attended a beer dinner, I wasn't sure what to expect. Honestly, my initial thought was that I would leave not only hungry but thirsty. How could a beer dinner that costs $65/person provide enough beer to satisfy me when most craft beer drafts are at least $5 a draft. Thankfully I was proven wrong.

The dinner started at 7, and we were seated in the back room of the restaurant. I do want to give out a special "shout out" to the two guys that sat at our table as they made the night that much more enjoyable. They even showed us later where we can get one of the best burgers in the city. After getting seated, it wasn't long before the dinner began that beer was being brought to our table. I assumed a rep from the brewery would join us to talk about the beer, but until I saw him begin talking I wasn't sure if someone would be there. Through the course of the dinner the rep informed us about the brewery, and all the beers we were tasting. He was also friendly enough to come to each of the tables, and tell us more about the beer he loved so much. I even found out his favorite beer.

The brewery started up after the "soon-to be owner" decided to pack his belongings and drive to Montana. While in transit he stopped with his wife in Coloroda and never left. The rest was history. They still joke that still this day they have never seen Montana. He first started a restaurant, and after a few years of selling other companies beer he realized he needed to begin brewing his own beer. The thought of brewing beer in cans came after his trip to Canada, and has stuck ever since. The town this beer is brewed in is a HUGE Mountain bike town, as they often say "were a Mountain Biking town with a drinking problem!" As a side story, the owner recently had his bike stolen, and has recently considered starting a bike company.

I got to try a variety of beers that night. The first beer I tried was Mama's Little Yella Pils which was a light pilsner that the rep compared to a Bud or Coors product without all the extras that companies throw in when producing large batches of brew. This was the perfect beer to start the night, because of it's light taste. With the Phillies playing, I figured this beer would be perfect for tailgating. For the second beer course, the server brought out Dale's Pale Ale. I must say this was my favorite beer of the night. This beer was a Pale Ale, but with a slight hoppy bite. I wouldn't consider this a full bodied IPA, but it went down smooth and had a nice taste. If you ever get a chance I definitely suggest trying this beer, as I will have to get a case of this beer sometime soon. Maybe when I hold my craft beer night, I will get this beer for everyone to try.

By the next beer course, I was feeling the food and beer. The server brought out the G'Knight which was a imperial red beer that reminded me of a Killian's Irish Red. This beer was named after the brewer's friend Gordon who died fighting a wild forrest fire. When this beer was first brewed it was named Gordon, but due to legal rights the brewery had to change the beer. The last beer was the strongest of them all: Old Chub - a Scottish Ale. I tried a few sips of this and found myself holding back as after drinking one of these I would be truly drunk. I'm not much of a scottish ale person, but this dark beer had a strong beer taste that would put any man down. It reminded me of whiskey.

This was one of the coolest beer events that I've ever attending. Drinking good beer, eating great food and talking beer is something that I really enjoy. After this event, I cannot wait for the next beer dinner I will attend. The myth that good beer can't be served in a can was shattered, and found drinking micro beer in a can an awesome thought.





1 comment:

  1. Nice Perspective.. Sounded like a great time and excellent opportunity to share some good times amongst folks with a common enjoyment for the craft!! Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete