Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I never had a Sam's Adams I didn't like, Until Tonight...

Last year I went to Boston to see the Phillies play the Red Sox. During the trip I visited the Sam Adam's brewery where I got to drink some fresh beer, and learned about the brewing process. At the end of the tour the guide informed us that the gift shop sells a set of three beers, which can only be purchased at the brewery. These beers are called the Barrel Room Collection, and are brewed in backrooms of the brewery in old wooden barrels which should "soften flavors in beer while imparting a sweet, toasty note."

After work, I went to my parents for diner. Wanting a special beer, I decided to open up the last bottle left over: Stony Brook Red. The attached label to this unique bottle described this beer as refreshing as it's rich malty flavor is combined with tart fruits. It also noted the after taste is wine like and pairs well with braised meats (I was eating ribs tonight).

Before tasting this beer I was curious to know if I would like this Belgian Style with Tart Fruit and Toasted Oak Character beer. I honestly didn't think I would enjoy this beer, but as this was a Sam Adam's beer I didn't think the beer could be too bad. But boy was I wrong. Dead Wrong.

Honestly, this is probably the worst beer I ever had. I think I would rather drink day old, warm skunked Beast Ice from a Keg before drinking this beer. The label was correct in that it had a tart taste but the taste was so overwhelming that it gave off a sour, rotten taste. I poured a half glass, and after two sips of this dark red colored beer I had to pour it down the drain. The beer was so bad that when I first sniffed this beer, I couldn't help but get goosebumps. Again, I do love Sam products but the brewery should scrap this one and never brew this beer ever again.



No comments:

Post a Comment