Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Iron Hill Second Anniversary Party: Glad I went

A few weeks ago, I learned of the 2nd anniversary party at Iron Hill Maple Shade from my father. Although I'm a mug club member, he gets the majority of the emails from the brewery about different events, but knowing my love for beer he is kind enough to forward them. Thankfully, he his son well, enough, that he decided to make reservations for Saturday to attend the party and the taping of their keg Second Rising. Prior to going, I decided to get more involved with my twitter account and tweeted a message to the Iron Hill CEO asking him if he would be there. I also felt the need to tell him about my excitement to try Second Rising. Or should I say #SecondRising. To my surprise, he answered my tweet and even re tweeted what I said. Pretty cool, right.

We ran a later than we originally planned as I had to order the valance that goes with my curtains at Bed, Bath, Beyond. And you wonder where my beer money is going? We picked a table in the bar area, and despite the event wrapping up I knew I would still get to drink fresh beer. I've blogged before about my love for Rising Sun, so I was anxious to try what the brewer was calling it's "Big Brother" Second Rising. This beer, which is also brewed with Japanese bred Sorachi Ace Hops, is considered a double IPA. I don't normally enjoy double IPAs, so I was a bit sceptical and thought it might be too much of a heavy, big bite beer. Even with my concerns, I knew I had to try this beer, as these hops it's brewed with give this beer an unique flavor. I also found it cool that they had brewed a keg of Christmas in July beer which they tapped earlier in the day. Unfortunately, by the time I got to the bar it had already been kicked.

I ordered a draft of Second Rising, which was served in one of the Iron Hill mugs. As much as I love drinking my beer out of these mugs, I sometimes forget how beautiful a finely poured beer looks. Especially when its a fresh craft brew. To my surprise, and thankfully for my blog my dad ended up ordering a draft that wasn't poured in a mug. The beer had a nice dark color that reminded me of the Dogfish Head 60 minutes IPA. The beer was poured perfectly and produced a perfect head. Getting head on a beer needs to be an exact science as too much can make the beer drinking experience a negative one. I do regret not getting a nice smell of the beer, however I was just too damn excited to try this beer that I took a huge gulp with my first sip. Despite it being a beer I never tried, I immediately knew the unique taste, and could see how this beer is considered the Big Brother of Rising Sun. Honestly, I do enjoy Rising Sun much better, and as this beer was 7.5% alcohol drinking a few of these beers can take it's toll on you.

While doing what I do best (drinking beer), I did get a chance to meet the brewer Chris. As often as I've been to the Hill I've never actually met him but have seen him plenty of times. I can even say I read his blog. Being that it was the anniversary party and he wasn't creating beer (or should I say working), I got the chance to talk to him about beer, and share my love for it. He was even kind enough to take me and my dad to the back and show us the beer tour and answer all my beer related questions. Because I wore my Zoo with Roy Beer shirt, I even discussed with him about the So Cuttered Hoppy Wheat Beer I tried at Iron Hill North Whales

We stayed later than we planned, and I somehow talked my parents into getting me a growler to go. Instead of the Second Rising I went with the Kryptonite, which I haven't really gotten to enjoy yet. With everything going on in my life, I haven't been drinking as much beer as I would like. However after spending an afternoon at the brewery I have fallen back in love with beer....




No comments:

Post a Comment