Sunday, June 19, 2011

Crabs and a side of Yeungling

The one benefit of living in New Jersey is you're never too far from getting Maryland Blue crabs. I first experienced blues while attending college in York, PA. Because of York's close proximity to Maryland, we had many student's from Baltimore who LOVE sharing crabs; that sounded dirty. Regardless, eating crabs isn't just a meal, its an activity, and when eating them nothing goes better than a cold beer to wash it down. Especially when they are covered with Old Bay.

When I was at school and ate crabs I would drink a beer called Natty Boh. Natty Boh is a Baltimore based beer that honestly tastes horrible, and ranks at the near bottom of beers. It reminds me of a Natural or Milwaukee light but much worst. Despite this beer being disgusting, Baltimore residents have such pride and find this beer amazing. I guess if it's brewed in your own backyard you have no choice but to enjoy it? As a marketing plan, the Natty Boh logo knows everything that has to do about Maryland. The next time your down at the harbour look for the t shirts of this beer. You'll notice them by the winking face that will remind you of a pirate, and have the famous saying Boh knows best. Boh apparently knows everything from O's baseball to Maryland Terps.
Last night, I ended up getting All-You-Can-Eat-Crabs, not in Maryland but in New Jersey. Where? I'm not really sure of the town, but know the name of the bar is called Babes Village Inn. This bar is truly unique as it has a tribute to Sally Starr next to the bathroom, and has a wicked velvet Willie Nelson painting. After our hour drive we were finally able to park in the dirt lot to meet up with the rest of the group. Although this place serves food, it's mainly a bar, and I noticed the group ordered pitchers of Yeungling lager. The Yeungling paired well with the crabs, and even if they had an IPA or some microbeer on tap, I don't think I would have strayed from the PA brewed beer. Eating the crabs covered in Old Bay will dry you out so you need to make sure you are drinking plenty of beer.

Through the course of the night we devoured buckets of crabs, and several Yeungling pitchers. By the time we were done I was bloated and exhausted when all the salt, and decided to end the night. I didn't drink any other beer Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment