Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Steakhouse Without Steak

This past Sunday was Father's Day, and I'm sure many of you decided to take your father out to dinner. My plans that night were no different and I had made reservations at Haddonfield's newest steakhouse Ralic's as most dads love steak. For the past month I've heard much about this place, and even noticed there were articles on Philly.com about the opening. I was especially intrigued to try the food as the chef, Ed Battaglia, was one of the finalists from the show Hell's Kitchen. I believe Haddonfield is considered a "dry" town and although this restaurant did not have a bar, they did allow for BYOB. Earlier that day I had stopped at the Wilco to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner, and yes I even planned to drink some. I doubt I would have had a full glass, but I would have tried it, and absolutely reviewed it.

Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how the restaurant was as they were out of steak. Let me rephrase, they were out of the Fillet and Porterhouse, which eliminated several items from their menu. Yes folks, a steakhouse was out of steak. When I was in High School I did work at a Lone Star Steakhouse and do understand at times restaurants run out food, especially if it's Father's Day and a much publicized restaurant's opening weekend. I was disappointed that they were out of the more popular cuts, however my real disappointment derived from the lack of communication we got from the restaurant and it's staff. It wasn't until we were seated and being served water that the manager or owner came over to inform us of the bad news. My thought is that if I make reservations through Open Table, you have my phone number listed, and perhaps as a courtesy you can give me a call regarding the shortage. Or, perhaps they could have told us that they were out of certain meats when Lauren called to inform the hostess we were running late. Or, maybe when we walked into the restaurant, and prior to being seated we could have been told then. My point is there were plenty instances where we could have been informed, and being notified after you've read the menu and made a choice is frustrating.

When we found out they were out of steak, my life quickly turned into an IPhone commercial as I pulled out the phone and made reservations at Seasons 52. Thankfully we were able to get reservations on such short notice, and within minutes we were at the restaurant being seated. I've only been here once before, and remembered drinking Flying Fish; I don't remember the kind of beer though. Although they did offer Flying Fish, as I glanced over the menu I saw one of my favorite IPAs: Yards IPA. The color of the beer, and the smooth hoppy taste goes down well. Almost of smooth of Keith Stone (for those Keystone light drinkers). Despite this beer being poured from a bottle instead of a draft, I couldn't tell the difference, which is a plus. I did notice they had a Samuel Smith Organic Lager, which I would have tried if they didn't offer Yards. An organic beer seems like a cool concept, especially with the restaurant being so health conscious. I do want to point out that we had remarkable service at Seasons, and I was quite surprised how a night that started off poor became an awesome one. If you don't go to Season's for the beer, definitely go for the food.


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete