Friday, June 10, 2011

Luck of the Irish

Before the storms rolled through the area, I was drinking at what felt like an authentic Irish Bar in Conshohocken (or one of the neighboring towns). Needing to break from the norm, I decided I would go to a place I've never been before, as I knew I could find a place that would offer a different beer experience than what I've had this past week. The result, I ended up at Brittingham's Irish Pub and restaurant. Sounds cool, right? We walked in and I knew immediately this place was for the Irish beer lovers as plastered throughout the bar was signs, and mirrors for Guinness and Irish beer products. Looking over their June/July seasonal beer list (which mostly contained summer drafts/bottles) I noticed the Smuttynose IPA on draft. As all drafts were $3/pint how could I pass up an IPA I never had before. Unfortunately, the bartender informed me he had a keg of Blue Moon that won't kick, so at this time the Summtynose is not available. Understandable. Had I not have to drive home, I might have considered helping kick the keg to get to an IPA.
Being that I was at an Irish Bar, I went with an Irish draft beer. No, I didn't order a Guinness, but I did order a Harp Lager. This crisp beer is much lighter in taste than the lager I'm use too, such as Yeungling or Sam Adam's. Going off the color and taste, I would consider Harp much closer to the lager Budweiser. While drinking my beer, I did consider ordering a black and tan, but decided to hold that off until next Saint Patrick's Day. For those that don't drink, a Black and Tan is half Guinness Stout and Harp Lager; worth trying if you never had. It's been some time since I last had a Harp, as honestly I'm not much of a Guinness/Irish Beer drinker. When I was younger, I remember visiting Ireland on a school trip and going into the Guinness store. I purchased a really cool beer poster that I no longer have.

I realize lately I've complained about all the summer seasonal I've ordered, and haven't tasted one that really stood out. That changed last night, when I tasted a Newcastle Brown Ale Summer seasonal. Yes, that's right folks, Newcastle makes a Summer seasonal. I know, I never knew Newcastle brewed seasonal beers, but I figured to give it a try. I ordered a draft that was served in a cool Newcastle summer seasonal glass. The beer had that Newcastle brown color and taste. When drinking the beer I don't know if I would have considered this a seasonal summer beer, or more like a lighter version of the beer. Had I not known it was a seasonal I would have assumed this was the Newcastle Brown Ale light

While I was drinking my last beer, I did overhear the bartender and other patrons talk about the Smuttynose IPA. I'm guessing the Blue Moon finally got kicked and they had tapped the desired keg of IPA which was the talk of the bar. You know it's a decent IPA when the bartender states "I'm not much of an IPA drinker, but that's good." This is just another reason why I will need to get back to the Irish Pub. That and the food was delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment