Saturday, June 11, 2011

H Loves Beer: Zoo with Roy Edition

Since I started this blog I've made it clear that I love beer. One of my favorite places to drink is the Iron Hill Brewery. As much as I love beer I also love sports. More specifically, I love baseball and the Philadelphia Phillies. You can say I have a man crush on the team, and most certainly Chase Utley. To keep up with the Phillies, I read different Phillies blogs, and one blog in particular I read is I want to go to the zoo with Roy Halladay (www.zoowithroy.com). As an avid reader I was aware that the Iron Hill Brewery in North Whales reached out to the writer of the blog and asked if they can brew a beer in honor of his blog ( I know awesome, right!). If someone offered me to the opportunity to brew a beer after H Love Beer I could never turn it down, so how could he.

Because I love beer, and think his blog (or should I say bolg) is awesome I decided to make the trek out to North Whales. Honestly, it wasn't that far from Jersey considering I left from work in Conshohocken. Before going, I knew Zoo with Roy was holding a tailgate party down at the stadium for today's Phils game and they tapped a keg of his beer last night at the brewery, but due to work, I couldn't attend either. Instead, I decided I would visit the North Whales brewery Saturday night. I decided to call ahead and make sure they had this beer on tap. The person who answered the phone assured me that I will have no problem getting this beer tonight. This was my drive during work.

I made reservations for 7:30, assuming the Phillies game would be over, and got there a few minutes before. As we got seated the Phillies were still playing but unfortunately I didn't get a seat by the bar to watch the outcome (just like the Maple Shade location, the bar is first come first serve). The server came over, and I ordered a draft of the So Cuttered Hoppy Wheat without even opening the beer list.  I knew what I wanted to drink.

The server brought my first beer in a Iron Hill mug (I am a mug club member) so I couldn't see the color of the beer. Reading the description I knew it was a hefeweizen , and after my first sip it reminded of the Magic Hat Circus Boy with a punch, a big punch. When I first drank my beer I was greeted by sweet burst of flavor, and was soon after hit by the hops its brewed with as an after taste. My kind of beer! I guess you can say it was a Circus Boy on that Jason Giambi - Steroids.

Because I was drinking from a mug, I couldn't see the color of the beer. As a weird question proposed to the server, I asked if I can get a sample, which was no problem. The sample came in one of their flight glasses and the color reminded me of an orange; I could consider it to a darker Blue Moon. There was no way you could see through this beer, but it wasn't as dark as a stout of porter.


I'm not 100% sure, but I can only assume this beer is on limited  availability considering it is only on tap at the Iron Hill in North Whales. Normally, I don't venture far from Jersey to drink, but I knew this was one beer that I could pass on. I don't think this is one beer you should pass on either as it was enjoyable to drink. Heck, I had three. Do yourself favor and take a drive out to the brewery and try this beer prior to the keg being kicked.

If you need directions - Let me know. I'll go with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment