Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Cold Night in South Philadelphia

Last night was cold. Actually, it was freezing. I can honestly say I now know what Jack felt in Titanic as Rose was floating on the wood while they waited to be rescued in the middle of the ocean. I cut out of work at 6 and my drive down to the stadium took a little over a hour. Despite the traffic to the stadium my drive was relaxing and I rode with the windows down believing it not to be that cold. By the time I got to the stadium and parked the game was about 10 minutes in, and being stupid I didn't grab my jacket. Heck, I thought I could easily put a beer coat on.

It wasn't until I got inside the stadium that I realized how cold it was. I immediately knew I should have grabbed my jacket, and had to resort to the giveaway t shirt and my long sleeve phils shirt to keep warm. I needed a beer, so me and Rich ended at the first hometown brewery we saw to order a beer. Although there were 4 micro brew choices, I had to go with one of my favorites: Flying Fish Summer Ale. Unfortunately the beer didn't make me believe I was in the summer months. I think a better choice would have been Sam Adam's Winter Ale.

I got to my seats, and didn't worry about my beer becoming warm and unenjoyable. In fact, I thought the complete opposite and figured my beer would freeze. It was so cold that I didn't want to drink, and I couldn't even move. A few times I found myself going to the bathroom not because I had to use it, but because I thought I could get warm.

As cold as it was, and because of the poor performance the Phillies put on I only drank my one beer, and left by the 6th inning. The one benefit of that was I hit no traffic leaving. It was still early in the night, and because I had to drive Rich to Media we stopped at the Iron Hill Brewery in Media Square. Again, I feel like I should be a spokesperson for this place, but I love this brewery and they are everywhere. If anyone that works at Iron Hill reads this please consider me for a position that allows me to drink your beer and write for you guys.

I ended up drinking a Rising Sun, but noticed a beer on their list called Hopalicious. I can only assume this was a hoppy beer. I should have ordered this beer, but as I blogged previously I have a love affair with the Rising Sun.

There's two things I want to mention about Iron Hill: the Iron Hill in Maple Shade is holding a fundraiser this Friday to raise money for the people of Japan. For those that are going to this location, please order a draft (or two) of the rising sun as 100% of the proceeds are going to help the people of Japan. I do plan to work late that night, but I might have to stop by to support the cause. The second thing I want to mention is that the Iron Hill in Media is doing their annual brewfest on May 14. I went last year and drank beers from over over 25 breweries. Not to mention they serve food, and have live music. The weather was perfect last year, and it was a great time. I'm still undecided if I'm attending this year, but this is one event that's completely worth the money.

As for the Phillies, I determined today that any tickets (other than opening day) I have during the month of April I will end up selling.

No comments:

Post a Comment