Tuesday, April 5, 2011

March Madness Beer Pong Style

My Saturday morning was rough. I woke up feeling like complete crap, and can honestly say that I haven't felt that bad in a long time. Most times when I feel as horrible I did my idea of a perfect day consists of sitting on the couch, watching TV, and eating some unhealthy food. I would have done this, however I had previously committed to attending the 3rd Annual Beer Pong Tournament that benefits the March of Dimes.

About a month ago I found out about this yearly tournament, and figured to get into the spirit of March Madness since I don't participate in brackets. To compete all I needed was a teammate, pay $20.00 per team, bring a case of beer, and pick a school to be. As I was looking to run the tables, and win the tourney I though my best chance would not be teammates with Lauren (Sorry Laur). After thoughtful consideration I ended up teaming with Tom aka The Dentist. As he attended Temple University and they were in the actual March Madness, that was the team we selected.  

Before heading out to the Lancaster, PA to the home holding the competition I stopped at the Roger Wilco and picked up a case of Coors light and Bud light. Light beer isn't my thing, but if your playing beer pong it's the best option. Because I had a rough morning I ended up getting to the tourney late and had to forfeit my first round. To be eliminated from the competition you had to lose twice, so me and The Dentist were already at a disadvantage.

After drinking a few cold ones, I still wasn't feeling much better, but it game time. For our first game we were matched up against Villanova; a big 5 matchup. I'm saddened to say that I gave a pitiful performance and only managed to sink two cups. I'm going to blame my poor performance on my previous night, and that I never officially warmed up before playing. After losing our first game we were eliminated and I joined a few other teams who also lost in a toast outside. As we Shotgunned a brewski I was reminded of my College days at York.

Despite not running the tables as I planned I am happy to say that the money used to register was donated to the March of Dimes foundation. I got to meet a lot of new faces and overall had a great time. I also found that my business cards weren't a complete waste as someone I gave my card to previously pulled it out of his wallet. He later admitted he has yet to check out the site, but the fact he had the card was still a "winning" situation.

I do want to give special thanks to the hosts that threw the tournament as it was done right. For the winning team there was a giant trophy that reminded me of the Stanley Cup. The one major different was that this trophy couldn't be drank out of. There was plenty of beer, food, and a cool cake that gave the party that extra touch. I couldn't tell you who won the tournament (which makes me a poor blogger), but it seemed like it was a successful turnout as there had to be close to 30 teams. I look forward to joining in this event next year, and hopefully I will have a better outcome. I think me and The Dentist will need to get some practice before next year.





No comments:

Post a Comment