Thursday, April 21, 2011

Just Tease Me with Beer You Don't Have

Monday was a busy night for the Philadelphia sports teams. Out of the 4 major teams the Flyers and Sixers were playing a playoff game, and lets not forget that Joe Blanton was taking the mound for the Phillies. With all the games playing Monday night, I imagined any bar would be crowded, and impossible to get a table. One of my favorite things to do while drinking beer is watching sports, and I was in the mood to drink craft draft beer. I'm certain you all can agree to that statement.

I ended up at the Jug Handle Inn, and was shocked by how empty this place was. I last went to this bar during a snowstorm after an early dismissal at work; I remembered they had a nice selection of craft beer. I grabbed the table in front of one of the Televisions, and looked over the beer list. Although there was beer specials for Bud and Miller products, I went with a beer I knew I would enjoy: Flying Fish Farmhouse Ale. Despite this being a light beer I enjoyed the taste, but then again I don't think I've ever had a Flying Fish beer that I didn't like. I know I say this all the time, but I really need to get to the brewery one of these Saturdays.

I do want to mention that the jug has a rotating selection of micro beers on tap from their downstairs bar. I asked the server about selection, and some beers that stood out were: Troegs Java Stout, DogFish Head Apricot, and the Southern Tier IPA. Ironically, the last time I drank here I ordered a draft of the Southern Tier Pumpkin Ale. As I loved that beer, I decided to try their IPA. Unfortunately the server came back and told me they actually didn't have this on tap, which was disappointing. Regardless I went with my second choice, the Dogfish Head Apricot, which I never had but was told this past weekend it's something I should try. Again, I was informed by the server that they didn't have this on tap. Again, a bit disappointing.(I'm sounding like a broken record). Thankfully, the server got an updated listed and mentioned Boulder City IPA on tap. As my original choice was an IPA, I ordered a draft. I got the beer, and noticed how much darker it was than my first beer, but after my first sip I realized this was a typical IPA. This beer was okay, but there wasn't anything special about it that would make me order this again.

I was completely exhausted Monday, and for once I decided to cut out of work and grab a drink. Overal, I must say it was a disappointing night.



No comments:

Post a Comment