Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Plenty of Booze at the Wedding

Last week I could not wait for Saturday as I was anxious to attend Cait and Tim's wedding. As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate weddings. I always find them to be a great time, and this is one event that I look forward too. One of the best things about weddings is the food; One of the better things about most wedding I've attended: the free booze. Technically, it's not "free" because you do provide a gift to the couple getting married, but what I noticed about weddings is that people tend to drink. Actually people drink a lot at weddings. Something about weddings puts people in great moods, and thirsty for alcohol.
The wedding was held in Perkasie, PA at the Lake House Inn. With the wedding being in Bucks County, we decided to stay at a local hotel that the rest of the wedding guests were staying at. Besides its never a good idea driving home at night after a wedding. As the majority of the wedding party/guests were staying at this hotel, I figured there would be some type of after party. For a wedding to be great, there needs to be an after party. When I get married you bet your ass I will have an after party.

Before driving to Quakertown to check into the hotel, we stopped at the Roger Wilco to pick up beer and liquor. Although we knew the wedding would have plenty of beer, I wanted to grab beer for the hotel. I did my normal lap around the store, and still wasn't sure what I wanted to drink. Because I thought I might end up sharing a beer or two with others, I decided to go with a sampler pack and narrowed my choices down to the Magic Hat Spring Sampler and Victory Brewing Company Sampler. As the Victory pack only had three beers included and the Magic Hat including four I decided to go with the Magic Hat. Besides last week I complained about wanting this sampler pack. The sampler pack included #9, Blind Faith IPA, Wacko, and Single Chair. I've heard and tried all of these beers except for the Single Chair. The only beer from the Victory pack that I remember was HopDevil.

We got to the hotel, and I know this will surprise you but I didn't start drinking. I decided to wait until the cocktail hour to get my drink on. After getting shuttled to the ceremony it was time to drink and eat. As the wedding "drink" was a strawberry mojito I knew I would drink one. Heck, we could consider this the good luck drink to the bride and groom, and since they had them set out on a long table I couldn't resist. I finished my mojito while I got in the bar line. I knew it was time to switch to beer.

Most weddings I've attended, don't cater to the craft beers lovers, nor do they have a huge selection of beer, which is fine. I find at wedding most people prefer mix drinks/cocktails throughout the night. The beer choices were basic: Yeungling, Amstel light, Coors light, and Henekein. For most of the night I stuck with the Henekein, and switched it up with a Yeungling, and Coors Light. I'm not going to get into the taste of any of those beers, or make any reference because anyone that has drank beer before knows what these beers taste like. All I know is when I get married I will have a nice selection of craft beers to choose from. Maybe I should just have the ceremony at a brewery.

We got back to the hotel after midnight and I continued my beer drinking. The after party didn't last as long as I hoped, but that didn't stop me from drinking. I finished the night drinking the rest of the Magic Hat and ended up finishing up the 12 pack except for the lone Single Chair. When I packed in the morning I had a tough dilemma, do I bring home the lone beer or do I leave it for the cleaning Service. In the end I ended up leaving the beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment