Thursday, April 7, 2011

Is this Sushi or Beer?

I woke up Sunday with the intention not to drink any beer. After drinking Friday and Saturday I figured my body could use the break especially since my College days are long gone. Thankfully, to help with the break I ended up getting a great night sleep, which also made my drive back to New Jersey area a breeze. When I finally got home, I decided to join my parents for brunch; we wanted to try something different and after looking online we made reservations at Cork in Collingswood (I believe). We got seated, and I noticed a book on the table that I knew had their drinks, beers, and wines. Although I wasn't drinking I was still curious to see what they offered, and I began flipping through it. I have to admit, even though I told myself I wouldn't drink, there were several beers that I would have liked to have tried. My urge to order a beer grew when I noticed that some of the beers they had on tap weren't listed in their book. Some of the micro brews they featured were: Yards, Flying Dog, Stouts, Victory, and Troegs. Despite the excellent selection I decided to order water and called it an afternoon.

My intention not to drink didn't last the entire day. I went to dinner at PF Chang's, and planned to order an Ice Tea until I saw a beer on the menu that was truly unique. In their draft selection they had a beer called Bistro Ginger Beer. Like a cat, my curiousity set in, and I had to order this beer. When it came, I didn't know what to think as a lemon slice was put on the glass similar to the way an orange is with a Blue Moon, so I flicked it in. The beer was light in color, but I could definitely tasted the Ginger; Hence the name, Ginger beer. Thinking about it, I don't know if I actually liked this beer or not. After each sip, I found myself trying to make a decision on this beer, but couldn't. The beer reminded me of when you eat sushi and you eat the ginger that is served next to the wasabi. I don't know what PF Chang's does to give it the flavor, but I can't imagine a brewery actually brewing this beer. Then again I'm certain breweries have added stranger ingredients to their  beer. If any of you are ever at a PF Chang's, give this beer a try and let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment