Saturday, May 28, 2011

H's Beer Review: Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

It's been a while since I last reviewed a beer on my blog. For my birthday I was given a mix and match 6 pack, which happens to be a gift I suggested in my blog to give the beer lover in your life. Out of the pack, the beer I was most excited to try was the Oatmeal Stout Blueberry by Buffalo Bill's Brewery. I've never heard of this beer nor the brewery, but was anxious to try despite it being a stout beer. If you know my beer drinking taste Stout beers are not the top of my list. Thinking about it my excited was came from the fact that this beer is brewed with blueberries, and I imagined it tasting like Blueberries. The last time I drank a beer that was brewed with blueberries was at the Manayunk Brewery as they had Blueberry Wheat on draft. That beer was a ligther beer and is the complete opposite of what beer I am drinking now.

When I poured the beer I was in shock to see it be a dark beer. Looking at the beer, the color actually reminds me of a dark blue color, I guess that's the blueberries. Prior to drinking this beer, I imagined it to be a ligther beer, and similar to the one at the brewery. Once I opened the beer I expected to be greeted by a strong aroma of blueberries or a fruit smell, yet this beer had neither smell. As I based this beer off a past experience, the taste was not as I expected. Although Lauren did not like the beer, I did find this beer enjoyable and be a full flavored stout beer without a blueberry taste. Let me restated: this beer did not taste like blueberries. I did like the taste of this beer, however I was disappointed that this beer had no flavor of blueberry. I understand during the brewing process you might lose the flavor of the fruit, however if you name the beer Blueberry stout, I expect to taste blueberries.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer, and would recommend it to any stout beer lovers. However, do not expect me to run out and purchase a case of this brew, and as the name did not match the taste, this beer lost points. H Beer Grade: C+



No comments:

Post a Comment