Monday, May 2, 2011

Stone IPA at the Pub

I've never been to CHIFA in Philadelphia, however for the past few months I've been wanting to go. I've visited their website several times, and each time I've checked out the site I noticed they hold 4 course meals with beer pairings. As I've always said, Beer and Food go together. Due to previous obligations, I have yet to get a chance to attend one. Two pairings that intrigued me included Brooklyn Brewing Company and Stone Brewery. While in college there was a bar in York called Cobblestones, which is an old ballroom turned into a bar. The owner of this bar must love beer as much as me because they have over 75 beers on tap, and doesn't include what they offer in bottles. The first time I had a Stone Brewery beer was at Cobblestones.

I ended up meeting my coworkers Saturday night to celebrate a birthday. The bar that the birthday boy selected was the Great American Pub in Conshohocken, which I've been to a handful of times. Although their beer menu isn't as extensive as some bars I've been too they do have some local craft flavors as past visits I've drank Dogfish head and Slyfox beer. Honestly, before going I was wishing they would have Dogfish Aprihop on tap. Unfortunately, they didn't.

The group I meet had grabbed a table at the top bar, so my only way of knowing what was on tap was to ask the server. As I walked past the front bar, I didn't get to check out the taps. Since the bar was quickly filling in, I had a tough time hearing what she said they had on tap. As she was listing the beers, I heard the word "Stone" and "IPA." By that point I heard enough and ordered a Stone IPA draft. I figured that was a safe bet.

The Stone IPA is your typical IPA. The taste is smooth and the hop taste doesn't give off too much of a bite. When I got my first beer I realized this appears lighter in color than most IPAs I've had. Bottom line: this beer is good but it's nothing to brag about. Then again, it couldn't have been too bad considering I drank three drafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment