Monday, January 24, 2011

Beer Man at the Movies

I was watching TV the other night and the Travel Channel had a show about the future of movie theaters. The program showed many new features theaters are offering their guest such as full course dinners, new and improved seating and some are now serving beer! When they mentioned beer, the first thing that came to mind was the scene from Pulp Fiction where John Travolta's character is telling Samuel L Jackson's character about his experience in France. Travolta talked about ordering a Le Royale with Cheese, and how he was able to drink beer durring a show. I know it sounds like a great idea, but I'm not really a fan. When I go to the movies, the last thing on my mind is slugging brewskis. As much as I love beer, I much rather munch on popcorn and a large cherry ICEE. My issue with beer is that I enjoy the taste so much that I can't just drink one. I'm certain I speak for many that when I drink a decent amount of booze it leads me having to to frequent the bathroom. This is the last thing I want to do when I'm watching a movie for the first time, espcially when I'm paying over $10 a ticket and don't have the option to pause the movie. Besides you never want to be that asshole who has to climb over people during the movie. With theater prices becoming more expensive I'm sure beer wouldn't be cheap, and prices would rival those you pay at the stadium. I also worry that I would have to deal with drunks at the movies. Don't get me wrong I love drunks as I find them hysterical, but I don't think I would enjoy them at the movies.

I know I say I wouldn't purchase a beer at the movie now, but lets see what happens if the local AMC starts offering fresh Dogfish Head. Espcially their 60 minute IPA


2 comments:

  1. I was in a theater in DC - E Street Cinema - that not only served beer, but had a full bar! It was crazy. Jujubees and a vodka tonic? Chardonnay and popcorn?

    My friend was telling me about this theater in North Jersey where you sit in big recliners, and have dinner and drinks served to you. That might be a bit much, but worth a try at least once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling the sitting in big recliners to watch a movie, but not too sure about the dinner part. I guess they are really trying to cash in on the "dinner and a movie" date.

    I guess if you just have a drink while the movie is on it would be nice, but like I said they would have to serve a nice selection of beer. Perhaps they could maybe brew their own beer and maybe I'll be on borard

    ReplyDelete