Monday, January 31, 2011

UK bar in Philly

The last Stephen Starr restaurant I went to was Jones Restaurant. I ended up going after a Phillies game after hearing from a coworker they had excellent food and it was less costly then most of Starr's other restaurants. After walking out of the restaurant, I felt neither were true. The food was OK but lacked that Starr "WOW" factor; the lunch bill for two people was around $80.

Tonight I went with Lauren to the newest Starr restaurant, The Dandelion, which opened this past New Years Eve in the Rittenhouse Square section of Philadelphia. I've read many positive reviews, and when we learned they offer a Sunday Roast dinner (common in the UK) every week we quickly set reservations. From the second I walked into the restaurant I instantly felt transported to a bar in England. After being seated at a table in front of windows that overlooked the street, I couldn't help but notice how extensive the beer menu was. What made me even happier was that I could not find any Bud or Miller products on the menu. Not that I hate those beer, but I feel they don't belong in an English Pub setting. Perhaps if I asked for Miller light or Budweiser they could have given me either, but I didn't bother. Deciding to go with a choice I knew I would enjoy, I selected the Yards India Pale Ale which is brewed in Philadelphia. The beer was served in a traditional pint class but was a bit pricy as each draft ordered cost $8. Despite the cost I still managed to throw down a few brews.

I was impressed that The Dandelion offered patrons the opportunity to order beers from their Cask Collections. For those not familar, Cask beers are poured into your glass by a hand pump and are less carbonated than those of American beers, and are served at cellar temperature. After inquiring about the cask beer collection, our server did bring me a sample of the Pale Ale which was okay, but wasn't something I would order.

After our delicious Sunday roast dinner and Stout Chocolate cake pot desert (had the "WOW" factor) we headed to the downstairs bar to enjoy after dinner drinks. For me I ended up drinking another IPA, but was taken back by the decor of the bar and the knowledge each bartender had. Sitting at the bar, I noticed that before each beer was poured the pint glass was rinsed with an automatic washer. This was something I have only seen at the Sam Adams Brewery Tour.

I did have to laugh when I went into the bathroom and saw a chalk board where someone wrote " Beer is proof God Loves us," especially after having mentioned this in a previous blog. For beers lovers, The Dandelion is a Philadelphia hot spot, and if anyone would need company to go please let me know.

*The lighting was dim, so many of my pictures were dark








2 comments:

  1. Though I am not a fan of beer, this place looks like a cool place to check out. I have been to the UK and loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place is definately worth checking out even if your not a beer lover. Our meal was incredible from the starters to the desert and the decor was REALLY well done. Felt like I was in England. Not sure if you like mix drinks, but they did have a full bar and had a few non beer alcohol drinks. Lauren got some kind of martini at the bar that she liked

    ReplyDelete