Sunday, January 23, 2011

Forget the flowers, bring me Growlers

I'm a huge fan of brew pubs. My favorites include the Lancaster Brewing Company and The Applachian Brewing Company (ABC). I first fell in love with brew pubs while attending college as it was then I turned 21, and because there are numerous brew pubs in South Eastern, PA. The quality of food, beer, and service are usually terrific. I also find when you go to these places the servers and bartender actually have knowledge about the beer they are serving. As much as I love drinking fresh beer, there is nothing better than drinking that fresh beer at your home. My favorite thing that brew pubs offer is the option to purchase a growler of fresh draft beer. The price to fill a growler can range, but most times it will cost you about $10.

The biggest complaint I have about growlers are that brew pubs require you to purchase their own growler which usually will have their brand name or label on it. Assuming you don't have a growler from that brewery or had forgotten it you would need to buy a growler which can be pricey. Depending on the place I have paid around $20 for the growler alone.

Over the years I have built a collection of growlers and do think they are worth considering. I love drinking fresh beer out of a growler and find it cool. Before purchasing you do need to consider when you will drink it. As the beer will not stay fresh if your not drinking that night you might be better off doing a 6 pack.

I once was drinking Magic Hat and underneath the cap it said "Forget the Flowers, Bring me Growlers."




2 comments:

  1. Love the Title!!..

    Growlers = Great value if you frequent your favorite brew pub. I have to agree a fresh draft served fresh from the barrel does seem to provide the most satisfaction but who can throw a keg in the car when doing takeout from the local brewery??!!

    Fill up your growler and enjoy a mug or 2 with the awesome vittles your bringing home for in front of the big screen!!

    Cheers & Bon Appetit !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have said it any better myself

    ReplyDelete