Sunday, January 30, 2011

A HomeBrew: Ginger Kid Stout

While in College, my parents got me a Mr Brew Home Beer Kit for Christmas. After reading the directions that included pictures, I thought brewing beer would be easy and attempted my first batch. I don't think I have ever been so wrong about something. My beer, if you could even call it that, was disguisting. I learned very quickly that the art of brewing beer is a difficult process especially if you don't know what you're doing.

I learned last week from Home Brewer Jay Mignogna that he brewed a batch of his Ginger Kid Stout. To be honest, Stout beers are not my favorite so when he asked me if I would want to sample and review his beer, I wasn't sure if I would actually enjoy it. I remembered my experience with brewing beer, but as I'm not one to turn down beers I gladly excepted. After my first sip, my impression on Stout beer changed and I realized that Jay has a talent and love for brewing beer.

Jay dropped off two bottles last night and after I got home from dinner I cracked open the first one and poured it into a Sam Adams mug; Hey, these mugs are engineered for beer. The smell of the beer wasn't overwhelming but I was greeted by the typical Stout Beer smell. If I wasn't aware before that this was a Stout beer, I definately could tell once it was poured in front of me. The color was dark in appearance, which I could compare to a coca cola/Pepsi without the ice.

After I took my first sip, I instantly blurted out "Damn, thats good!" As previously said, I wasn't expecting to really enjoy this beer, but I did and that's what makes beer so great. I finished the first one last night, and had a hard time not drinking the second. As I wasn't writing the review last night, I didn't want to drink the second one because I wanted to review the beer while I drank it. Although Jay's beer is considered a Stout, I didn't feel it was as heavy as some Stouts such as Guiness. For me, I felt it was lighter than most Stouts beers I've had, and I easily could throw down several, and not feel full or bloated. After finishing my second just a few moments ago, I really could go for another and would definately consider purchasing this beer if it was on tap at a local bar or sold at a beer store.

I'ld like to again thank Jay for allowing me the opportunity to try his beer, and blog about it. I'm just keeping my fingers cross that he'll allow me to review his next batch of beer as he actually understands how to brew beer.






No comments:

Post a Comment