Friday, March 11, 2011

A Cherry Wheat Kick

I had a tough time deciding on a place to get food and a beer last night after my doctors appointment. With it being Thirsty Thursday I prefered to select a place that was a restaurant rather than a bar. My initial plan was to hit up the Iron Hill Brewery since its been a few weeks since my last visit. Unfortunately their kitchen closed at 10, which seemed to be the norm with all the places we called. After driving aimlessly we pulled into the Appleebees parking lot, and I got the idea call Houlihan's on Route 70 in Cherry Hill. It was like music to me ears when I learned that their kitchen was open til they closed as I wasn't feeling Applebees.

We walked in the restaurant and headed to the bar area which had a decent crowd. After grabbing an empty booth I glanced at the bar and tried to figure out what they had on tap but with it being so dark I had a hard time seeing all my options. I've been here several times and remembered that they seem to offer a little more than your typical chain restaurant. The last time I was there I believe I ordered a tall glass of Flying Fish Winter Ale.

I asked the server what beers were on draft, and after listing to her list the choices I decided to go with Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat. I must admit I've been on a cherry wheat kick; I even had suggested to a coworker that he try it when he asked what beer he should consider getting one night. I love the taste of this beer and it reminds me of Blue Moon except with a taste of cherry. I find it to be a lighter beer with real flavor that doesn't overwhelm me.

I ordered a tall draft, and limited myself to one as I did have work in the AM. The one benefit for sitting in the bar area was we had the option to participate in their night happy hour. Each weekday, they run two Happy Hours, one at 4-7 and the second one from 10-Close. As we were there after 11 we were able to order select appetizers for $5 each and got $1 off each beer draft. For the price and the beer selection I will be adding this place to my restaurant selection.


No comments:

Post a Comment