Sunday, March 20, 2011

There's a Pen in my BEER

Looking through past blogs, I realize most of my Saturdays are spent drinking and blogging. Since I've started this blog I feel I've written some good blogs including drinking at breweries and seeing a Beer Van on I-95. Unfortunately this Saturday was not one of those times. For my die hard readers, I'm sure you realized I'm a workaholic during the week. So when the opportunity presented itself to work this Saturday, how could I pass this up. I had no problem sacrificing my Saturday afternoon, evening, and night to drive to Conshohocken and work. After another long day at the office (seems to be a theme) I knew I needed a few brewskis to officially call it ends to the work week.

Last night before bed I made dinner reservations at Coyote Crossing in Conshohocken. For the past few years I've worked less than a mile away from this restaurant so I've heard many reviews and even had driven past this place countless times. Never had I stepped inside. This past week I've been craving Mexican food and no offense to Chef Mark I wanted to try a place other than the Tortilla Press. I walked into the restaurant and quickly realized this must be the place to eat and/or drink prior to heading out for the night. If I ever go out in Conshohocken I'll make sure to pregame here as it was 9:15 and and crowded with young professionals. Our reservations weren't for 9:30 so after checking in, we went to the bar area to grab a before dinner drink. I did my typical glance at the beer taps and noticed Sly Fox beer on draft. I'm always thrilled to see restaurants supporting local breweries, which this beer was brewed less than 30 minutes away. I always say, "Be sure to Support your local Brewery."

I did notice a tap I never saw before; It was a pirate that had the wording: Craft Beer. As mentioned in a previous blog, whenever you've never had a beer your interested trying, ALWAYS ask for a sample. The bar area was loud and I can honestly say I don't know what kind of beer I drank or who brews it. Even after being seated and talking to to server I still didn't know the name of the beer as it was just that loud. It wasn't until I got the check that I saw Heavy Seas Beer. While at the bar, I asked the bartender for a sample, and he provided me with a generous amount that I quickly finished. Before my last sip, I ordered a draft. After ten minutes of standing by the bar the hostess took us to our table. When the server came to our table, I was half way done my beer; Ironically, as he was about to write something on his tab, he dropped his pen into my beer. OPPS! It was actually very funny, and something that I've never experienced before. Because my beer now had a pen in it I was happy to see the server was more than willing to provide me another draft at no additional cost. I wanted to take a picture of it, but the server grabbed the beer so fast that I didn't even have the time to pull out my phone. I know this isn't a food blog, but I do want to point out the food was outstanding. It was authentic Mexican that paired well with my beer. As much as I love beer, I don't think I would order beer if I go back. Being that this is a Mexican restaurant, this place obviously specializes in my other guilty pleasure: tequila. There were all different tequila drinks that caught my attention but because I was driving I knew it wouldn't be a wise decision. I ended up getting three beers, with two being served in a Guinness glass. I'm not one to complain about presentation, but I didn't know if it was a violation to serve anything other than Guinness in these glasses. Regardless, the beer was great, the food was great, and the company was even better. I will be drinking here again, and would love to attend one of their Happy Hours.




No comments:

Post a Comment