Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Adventures in Philadelphia

I wanted to do this blog yesterday but I needed to take some time to recover and collect my thoughts on Saturday night. My night started by catching the 8'o clock train to Philly carrying a bookbag full of leftover Sam Adam's. After navigating the city we got to Lauren's friend Erin's place where I guzzled down one of the Latitude IPAs before we headed out. During our walk to the bar, I did run into a street performer killing it on his pots and pans. If you haven't viewed the video do yourself a favor and check it out. I've posted it in a previous blog.

As we were celebrating a friend's birthday, we bought into an open bar package at Ladder 15 that was all you can drink from 8 til 11 for only 40 bucks. This was only my second time going here and I find this bar unique as it was originally a firehouse. Before getting to the bar we were informed shots were not included with this package, which was fine as most packages won't include shots. I was weary of buying into this package as I thought this bar might limit the type of beer you could order to domestic beers such as miller, bud and coors products. Thankfuly Ladder 15 did not disappoint me, and I was able to pick any beer from their extensive craft selection. Before the package ended I enjoyed several Troeg's Necktar Nugget, Flying Fish Pale Ale, and Yards Pale Ale. At one point I complained to Lauren about not eating dinner and she was able to order me a bacon cheeseburger off their menu which was delicious.

After the package ended me and Lauren decided to get some fresh air. While we were hanging outside we ran into two guys who were at the beer festival at the Navy yard earlier in the day. I heard about this event, but was happy I didn't attend after hearing how crowded it was. They both told me about the beers they tried and the one gave me a coaster of his favorite beer - Innis & Gunn, which is brewed in Scottland. Not sure how I could get a sample, but I'll have to look into it.

While hanging outside, I couldn't help but notice the Nodding Head Brewery sign that hung over the sidewalk. If there's one thing about me is that I am a sucker for breweries and I quickly grabbed Lauren to check it out. This was my first time at this place so I didn't know what to expect. I had seen this place before driving by but never had the opporunity to enter, until now.

We quickly walked up the stairs and made B line dash straight to the bar. The bartenders were extremly nice and helpful with providing information on the beer and even provided me with an on tap list to take home. I can honestly say I don't remember what kind of beer I had, but I do remember finding it delicious and fresh. Looking at the beer list now, I most likely ordered the Rufus. Lauren is now reminding me that I said the beer was "really good." Other than the fresh beer, I do want to point out that this place had an awesome setup and decor. While going to the bathroom, I noticed an enclosed room that was filled with bobbleheads. As a collector of bobbleheads I was in awe. I've included a picture showing the room, but as I use my Iphone as a camera I don't always get the best pictures.

If it wasn't that we had to meet up with Lauren's friends I would have stayed at the Nodding head til closing time. Unfortunately that wasn't an option and we headed out. Somehow I ended up sitting down with a Psychic who was set up on the sidewalk. After paying a small fee she began my reading and told me things I already knew. She told me that I was going to live a long life; I tell people I'm living to 100. She told me that I'll be making a big purchase in the near future; I'm currently looking to buy a house. But most importantly she told me that I'm going to make A LOT of money and be very successful; I tell people this all the time.

My night got a bit blury at this point, and I ended up losing my wallet which was upsetting. If anyone reading this happens to have my wallet please mail it to me as it would be greatly appreciated.




No comments:

Post a Comment