Friday, March 4, 2011

H's Guide To Selecting Beer

As a beer drinker one of the toughest things I face is deciding what beer to drink. We've all been there, and although the scenario varies the experience remains the same. Your standing in front of the beer cooler examining each beer like there's some kind of hidden treasure map on the label. If you love beer as much as me you can agree that at that moment this is the biggest decisions of your live. Making a good beer choice can turn a mediocre night into a great one; making a horrible decision can absolutely ruin night. Although there is no exact science or mathematical formula when picking beer, I brainstormed some thoughts that could help assist you when making this important decision.

Taste - Taste HAS to be the biggest factor in selecting a beer. Whether your drinking one beer or pounding multiple brewskis you have to enjoy it. Although taste can vary from person to person I would suggest going with a type you know you would enjoy. If you don't normally drink IPAs I wouldn't suggest picking up a case of Lancaster Brewing Company Hop Hog.

Plans - Your plans should influence your choice of what you pick. If your plan is to tailgate a Phillies game, my suggestion would be to go with something light and refreshing. You can never go wrong with Miller light during tailgate party, but if your looking for something with a little more taste I suggest Blue Moon or Sam Adam's Summer Ale. Drinking a stout or porter beer would not be wise in this situation.

Season - As the seasons change, so do the beers. Over the past few years many breweries have taken it upon themselves to brew beers specific for that season. One of my favorite seasons for beer has to be the Fall season as breweries are producing batches of Octoberfest and Pumpkin ale brews. Do keep in mind that because these breweries produce small amounts they quickly sell out, and won't be restocked until the following year.

Sampler Pack - This is a great way to try the different beers from your favorite brewery. The beers will vary depending on the season and brewery, but most will include at least one or two of their flagship beers. The best part about sampler packs is that if you don't like the beer, you can move onto the next type.

Local Craft Beers - Last weekend I visited my GF's family in CT. Instead of selecting a beer I had tried before, I decided to go with a local selection which I enjoyed. Several years ago I went to the Flying Fish brewery tour and still remembering the tour guide telling us, "Craft beer company's make beer for people not money."

Price - With the state of the economy I understand that people are saving and can't spend all their money on beer. If your looking to go on the cheaper side go with a beer company that produces massive amount of beer such as Bud, Miller, and Coors products. Because craft beers can be expensive you should consider purchasing smaller amounts such as a 6 pack. Buying a case of your favorite craft beer can be costly as one time I bought a case of Troeg's Mad Elf which ran me about $60.

Favorite - When all else fails just go with a beer that you love

No comments:

Post a Comment