Friday, February 4, 2011

The Beer Bible

I managed to get out of work at a reasonable time tonight after working late every night this past week. Because tomorrow's Friday, I decided to head to the Boathouse in Conshohocken to get something to eat and more importantly drink some good beer. I've been to the Boathouse before and was impressed by their food but was even more impressed with their beer menu which offers many local favorites. Apparently I'm not the only person that enjoys this establishment because this placed was packed with a younger business crowd. With the number of companies in the area, The Boathouse offers a great Happy Hour Monday through Friday, so perhaps many people were left over from that. As packed as this place was we were lucky enough to get seated immediately especially since I had a prior obligation later that evening. It's been some time since I last drank at the Boathouse, and I definately forgot how large their beer menu is.
Unlike most places this place doesn't have a beer list, they beer book which is obviously updated quite often. Each beer listed includes a short paragraph describing the beer such as where it's brewed, alcohol content, how it's brewed, and how it taste. As I find myself ordering beers I never tried or even heard of, having the desciption was extremely helpful. What suprised me was that they included beers they plan to serve in the near future. I don't think I've ever gone to a place that let me know what they plan to have on tap. This was a great way to make me come back as I noticed they will be serving Sierra Nevada Hoptimum and Magic Hat #9. Because the restaurant is in Conshohocken, I ordered something with local flavor: Sly Fox Rt. 113 IPA which is brewed in Pheonixville, PA. I've never had this beer before, but as its an IPA I decided to order it. I figured I would like it as there was never an IPA that I didn't enjoy. Getting my first beer I noticed the dark gold color, but as I didn't order this beer for it's look I quickly took a huge gulp and noticed it's strong bold taste. It's refreshing flavor was definately what my last few days has been missing. Not sure if I was thirsty or really enjoyed this beer, but I guzzled down the first one and ordered a second one. I did manage to drink the second one slower to savor the flavor, and soon realized I really enjoyed this beer and it wasn't just that I was thirsty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment