Friday, February 11, 2011

Home Brewing Session 101

One month ago today I created HLovesBeer. Because today was my one month anniversary, I knew my day would not be complete until it involved beer. Earlier this week Jason Mignogna reached out to me and invited me to watch him begin brewing his Belguim Rye IPA. His decision to brew this type was based on his recent sampling of Founders Red Rye, and Iron Hill Brewery Belguim IPA. As he enjoyed both he decided to combind the two after learning of other brewers creating similar beer types.

Because I love beer (especially IPAs) so much I decided to take him up on the offer and headed to his house after work. When I got to his house I quickly learned that drinking beer while brewing beer is a must and is considered good luck. That's definately one rule that I didn't mind following. I ended up staying for an over, and Jason walked me through the early stages of the beer making process. I realized that brewing beer requires time, patience, and the willingness to continue learning about beer. When the product is finished, Jay will have about 4-5 gallons of home brew, which I hope he will allow me to sample. At this time, he has not selected a beer name as he stated he usually picks a name once he tastes it.

I did manage to take several pictures of the brewing process which I've included below. I also took videos which will be linked up shortly. Again, I do want to thank Jason for allowing me watch him "create life" as he put it.

























No comments:

Post a Comment