Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A look back at Christmas cheer

I was browsing the pictures that I've taken with my Iphone and found two pictures of Flying Dog beer I had on Christmas day. I'm usually not one to blog about beers I've had in the past, however as I wasn't blogging when I drank these delicious beer I thought now could share my thoughts. I realized the day before Christmas Eve that I needed some craft beers for Christmas Day, as what's Christmas without beer. My Dad and Lauren were heading to the Wilco so I asked them to pick me up a 12 pack of the Magic Hat Winter Seasonal. Apparently, I'm not the only one that loves Magic Hat because the Wilco was completely sold out of one of my favorite beers. After a tough search, they decided to buy me a Flying Dog Sampler pack. Up until then I had heard of this beer brand, but never actually tried it. The sampler pack included a variety of beers such as Doggie Classic Style Pale Ale, Snake Dog IPA, Tire Bite Golden Ale, Old Scratch Amber Lager, and if I remember correctly there was a winter seasonal included. Each beer had an unique label that had dog drawings and included a clever paragraph explaining the beer. The labels alone were a good enough reason to purchase this beer. If any of you are Hunter S. Thompson fans, the Gonzo Imperial Porter was dedicated to him and included a quote of his on beer:

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson



3 comments:

  1. Fun fact- All the labels are drawn by Ralph Steadman, the chap who drew just about everything gonzo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually a cool fact...

    These craft beers are created out of the passion and creativity of the master brewer. Given this I would expect the there are some awesome stories behind the bottles and label choices. The label designs are often an overlooked work of creativity.. enjoy the art as you sip the necter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fun fact, thanks for sharing. I actually had look at the book Fear and Loathing book and after looking at the pictures I can definately see how it was the same artist. The beer book I have mentions how the beer founder George Stranahan was friends with the late Hunter S Thompson and Ralph Steadman. The labels definately add to the beer experience.

    ReplyDelete